Aug 29, 2009
MacOS 10.4 and later
Notice: VersionTracker.com is no more, so using it as a source won't work. I'll eventually try to support the new CNET site, but it will take some time, since I'm currently on the road. In the meantime, please use MacUpdate instead. Thanks!
App Update is a free Dashboard Widget that can automatically check for updates to your installed software. It supports Apple's software directory, MacUpdate and Version Tracker. It will present you with a tidy link list of all the updates found, enabling you to read release-notes and download the the updates quickly and painlessly.
If you find App Update useful, you may also want to check out its sister-widget, Widget Update.
You can specify the directories in which you keep your applications on App Update's back. To flip it over, just click the little "i" button that appears when you move your mouse pointer over the Widget.
You can also specify recursive directory choices, meaning that App Update will not only look into the specified folder, but also into all its sub-folders (which is very convenient if you group your applications this way).
- Universal binary: Runs natively on Intel & PowerPC Macs
- Check for updates manually or automatically (daily or weekly)
- Built-in online help, accessible at all times by pressing Shift+H, viewable in the widget or the browser
- Can be collapsed into a small icon to conserve Dashboard space
- Support for Growl notifications
- Fast scanning of applications with Spotlight
- Implements Apple's proposed versioning scheme (TN1132)
- Can check an application's specific homepage as well (requires knowledge of regular expressions)
- Easily add folders per drag & drop
- If an application isn't found out of the box, you can easily add the necessary info to make it be found in the 'Advanced' dialog in the Widget's back
- Manage your applications: Right-click an update to expose a drop-down menu in which you can ignore an update, mark it as installed or reveal the application in the Finder
- Compatible with most applications
- Keyboard shortcuts
- Automatically checks for updates to itself, too (once every 24 hours)
- Released under the GPL
App Update comes with an extensive online-help functionality built right into it that you can view either right inside the widget or in your browser. While you are able to get App Update running quickly, you may want to have a quick glance at the help file to learn about the wealth of features it supports!
You can access the help at any time by pressing Shift+H or by flipping the widget over and clicking the "?" button.
Release notes are available here.
- Graphics have been provided by Mike Pogran.
If you are a developer and want to make sure that App Update works correctly with your application, please make sure that the following points are satisfied (there's nothing that's extra-ordinary, it's just good practice anyways).
- Make sure that the CFBundleShortVersionString property in your Info.plist property list is properly updated for subsequent releases of your application and that it uses a standard versioning scheme (x.y.z, such as 1.1.4). The exact standard supported by App Update is described here. It doesn't matter wether you are using localized values for CFBundleShortVersionString, App Update supports both localized and un-localized property lists.
- Make sure that you submit your application to the update tracking sites under the same name that you store in the CFBundleDisplayName property list of your Info.plist property file. If you use localized strings for the Info.plist, submit it under the name of the English localization.
That's it! App Update should work fine with your application now!